5G METEORS implements and operates a framework supporting the dynamic investigation and prototyping in the 5G satellite convergence as currently studied in 3GPP (the 3rd Generation Partnership Project, which is a standards organization that develops protocols for mobile telephony) Radio Access Network (RAN) and Service and System Aspects (SA) technical specification groups. The objective is to respond in an agile manner to technology developments driven by the market and the standardization work in 3GPP and support the integration of satellites in 5G for direct access (3GPP RAN) and backhaul (3GPP SA). 5G METEORS organizes competitive open calls to select activities to be performed. 5G METEORS is looking to mobilize implementers, experts and stakeholders beyond the usual stakeholder community ESA is doing business with.
- 5G METEORS will distribute close to 600,000 euro funding over a two year period, to be contracted out in three wave of calls.
- Funding is available to German entities, only.
- „Maker Space” activities are 100% funded, with typical values between € 5,000 and € 60,000 per activity.
- Challenges vary by nature and range from feasibility analysis and studies to actual prototyping and concept validation.
- 5G METEORS also collects ideas and suggestions for activities to be called for in future calls.
- Second call is planned for September 2019, third for January 2020. Topics are to be determined.
5G METEORS First Open Call Summary and Results
The First Open Call of 5G METEORS was concluded successfully in 2019. The summary of the resulting activities and emerging results are available here.
Second Open Call is out!
Second Open Call topics:
- Call 2 Topic 1: Open call for small activities – Topic is still open
- Call 2 Topic 2: Prototyping 5G New Radio for Satellite on higher protocol layers RLC/PDCP/RRC
- Call 2 Topic 3: Prototyping Satellite Integration in 5G via the N3IWF Interface
Call 2 Topic 4: Reduced Capability New Radio Devices in the 5G context– Topic is closed Call 2 Topic 5: Validation of Software Defined 5G New Radio over Satellite– Topic is closed
Detailed description of the topics is available through clicking on the links above.
- Eligibility – Funding is available to German entities, only
- Submission deadline for certain topics has been further extended:
8 July 2020 15 July 202029 July 2020, 17:00 CET (Berlin time)
- Announcement of open call results (for the ones closed on 15 July): 23 July 2020 (latest)
- Start of implementations: 1 August – 1 September 2020
- Language: All communication, including reports to be delivered should be made in English
Successful proposals will be awarded through an External Services contract, the template for which is available at https://5gmeteors.eurescom.eu/open-calls/model-external-services-contract/
Proposers are requested to follow and use the following template when formulating their proposal: 5g-meteors-proposal-template-for-proposers
Submission of proposals should be made exclusively through the following submission portal https://submission.eurescom.eu/
Document template for deliverables to be provided by implementers.
Submit your ideas for future calls
Additionally, 5G METEORS is actively seeking to receive novel ideas for additional topics to be investigated and prototyped. Such proposals for topics in future calls will be assessed by the expert team of 5G METEORS and ESA experts, and will be included in future open calls in case they found to merit this. The upper limit of € 60,000 per activity should also be observed, when formulating such proposals. This opportunity is continuously open until the publication of the third, last call of 5G METEORS.
Download template for additional topic to be investigated here.
Subscribe to our mail list to receive notifications about current and upcoming opportunities in the frame of the 5G Meteors MakerSpace activity.