5G METEORS implements and operates a framework supporting the dynamic investigation and prototyping in the 5G satellite convergence as currently studied in 3GPP (the 3rd Generation Partnership Project, which is a standards organization that develops protocols for mobile telephony) Radio Access Network (RAN) and Service and System Aspects (SA) technical specification groups. The objective is to respond in an agile manner to technology developments driven by the market and the standardization work in 3GPP and support the integration of satellites in 5G for direct access (3GPP RAN) and backhaul (3GPP SA). 5G METEORS organizes competitive open calls to select activities to be performed. 5G METEORS is looking to mobilize implementers, experts and stakeholders beyond the usual stakeholder community ESA is doing business with.
- 5G METEORS will distribute close to 600,000 euro funding over a two year period, to be contracted out in three wave of calls.
- Funding is available to German entities, only.
- „Maker Space” activities are 100% funded, with typical values between € 5,000 and € 60,000 per activity.
- Challenges vary by nature and range from feasibility analysis and studies to actual prototyping and concept validation.
- 5G METEORS also collects ideas and suggestions for activities to be called for in future calls.
- Second call is planned for September 2019, third for January 2020. Topics are to be determined.
First Open Call topics include:
- Realtime Software Defined Radio 5G New Radio over Satellite – Lower Layers
- Realtime Software Defined Radio – 5G New Radio over Satellite on higher Protocol Layers (PDCP/RLC)
- Feasibility Study on Demonstration of 3GPP New Radio over Satellite
- Broadcast and Multicast Demonstration in 5G Context
- Demonstration of satellite terrestrial integration in 5G at a high visibility 5G focused event
- Eligibility – Funding is available to German entities, only
- Submission deadline: 1 July 2019 8 July 2019, 17:00 CET (Berlin time)
- Announcement of open call results: 22 July 2019 (latest)
- Start of implementations: 1 August – 1 September 2019
- Language: All communication, including reports to be delivered should be made in English
Successful proposals will be awarded through an External Services contract, the template for which is available at https://5gmeteors.eurescom.eu/open-calls/model-external-services-contract/
Proposers are requested to follow and use the following template when formulating their proposal: 5g-meteors-proposal-template-for-proposers
Submission of proposals should be made exclusively through the following submission portal https://submission.eurescom.eu/
Submit your ideas for future calls
Additionally, 5G METEORS is actively seeking to receive novel ideas for additional topics to be investigated and prototyped. Such proposals for topics in future calls will be assessed by the expert team of 5G METEORS and ESA experts, and will be included in future open calls in case they found to merit this. The upper limit of € 60,000 per activity should also be observed, when formulating such proposals. This opportunity is continuously open until the publication of the third, last call of 5G METEORS.
Download template for additional topic to be investigated here.
Subscribe to our mail list to receive notifications about current and upcoming opportunities in the frame of the 5G Meteors MakerSpace activity.